It is currently Open Enrollment for 2024 coverage. If you submit an application during Open Enrollment (11/1/2023-12/15/2023 in most states), your coverage will begin on January 1st, 2024. You can look up your state's Open Enrollment dates here.
If you are applying for coverage because you qualify for Special Enrollment, the day your coverage starts on will depend on your specific qualifying life event. For most people, coverage will begin on the first day of the next month. Check here for the specific coverage start dates depending on your situation.
Coverage will start on the 1st day of the immediate next month if:
- You are losing job-based coverage (or a spouse's job-based coverage) or Medicaid
- You are joining a spouse's or domestic partner's plan after getting married / registering for domestic partnership
- Your COBRA coverage is ending / ended
- You are losing coverage due to a divorce
If you are losing health coverage because you are moving, your start date will depend on the following deadlines:
- If you apply by the 15th of the current month, your coverage will start the 1st of the following month
- i.e. if you apply July 4th, your coverage will start August 1st
- If you apply after the 15th of the current month, your coverage will start on the first of month after next
- i.e. if you apply July 16th, your coverage will start September 1st
For the birth or adoption of a child, or acceptance of a child into foster care, your coverage starts on the first day of the month following the birth, adoption, or placement in foster care but you can choose to have coverage start on the date of the birth, adoption, or placement in foster care, or on the first day of the month following enrollment.