All Instacart Shoppers who earned $600 or more within a calendar year will receive a 1099-NEC via Instacart's partnership with Stripe. The 1099-NEC (short for “Non-Employee Compensation") is used to report direct payment of $600 or more from a company for your services.
You can read more about what to expect here: Guide to 1099 tax forms for Instacart Shoppers. Also, below is a helpful timeline!
Your 1099 tax form will be sent to you by January 31, 2022 (note: paper forms delivered via mail may take up to an additional 10 business days).
By early January 2022: Stripe will email you instructions on how to set up a Stripe Express account. You’ll need to create an account and agree to e-delivery (i.e., agree to receive your 1099 tax form electronically via Stripe Express) to preview and download your 1099 tax form.
By January 7, 2022: Confirm your tax information (e.g., name, address, and Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number) is correct via Stripe Express, and make any necessary changes in the Instacart Shopper App.
By January 31, 2022:
- Your 1099 tax form will be available to download via Stripe Express.
- Your 1099 tax form will be mailed to you, if you don’t receive an email from Stripe or don’t consent to e-delivery. Please allow up to 10 business days for mail delivery.
- Instacart will file your 1099 tax form with the IRS and relevant state tax authorities.
April 15, 2022: IRS deadline to file taxes.
You can read more about taxes for Instacart Shoppers here: The Ultimate Tax Guide for Instacart Shoppers
If you don’t meet this requirement, then you’ll need to use another method for retrieving your yearly income information such as bank statements, account summaries, or other company communications indicating payments.
- If you do not receive a 1099, you still must report your income when filing taxes!
- Instacart’s platform has an account summary and will let you know what you made in a given year.
If you have any 1099-specific questions, we recommend reaching out to Doordash or Stripe directly.