Your 1099-MISC and 1099-K are used to report direct payments from a company for your services. These documents are going to come directly from the company or platform you work for!
Unfortunately Stride does not have visibility into when these are sent and to whom they are sent to. Most companies will send out Form 1099 to employees by January 31st, but for questions/concerns you will need to reach out to your company/platform!
Some useful information about 1099-MISC and 1099-K reports:
The 1099-K is used to report payment transactions that were facilitated by a third party. 1099-Ks are issued to anyone who:
- Generated income from credit, debit, or pre-paid card transactions (such as from an Uber passenger or Postmates/Instacart/Doordash customer), OR
- Had over $20,000 in sales and more than 200 individual transactions through a third party processor. Because this threshold is so high, some companies such as Uber will send a 1099-K even if you didn’t reach that threshold, but other companies may not. Your income must be reported regardless!
The 1099-MISC (short for “Miscellaneous) is used to report direct payment of $600 or more from a company for your services. As an example, you will receive a 1099-MISC from Uber if you did something like:
- Referred other drivers to drive for Uber
- Received a bonus for driving a certain number of trips
If you don't make $600 or more for a specific company, they do not have to send you a 1099-MISC, and many companies choose not to.
- Important to note, you still must report this income when filing taxes!
- You can use deposit records either from your bank or from records directly within the app/platform you work for!
Have a look at this resource for more information -> 1099 Tax Rate for 2020 and 5 More 1099 Worker Tax Tips