Start by going to your new health insurance company’s website!
- You’ll want to create an account with a unique username and password.
- Once you’ve accessed your insurance portal, you’ll be able to see all of your plan details such as how to find a doctor, insurance card, member ID, billing information, and benefits schedules.
Most insurance company portals will have an area to find a provider. Navigate to that section and start looking for a doctor!
It’s best to establish a primary care doctor, especially if you have an HMO plan.
- Primary care doctors are often general or family practice, pediatrics (for children) or internal medicine.
- Try to search based on zip code so that you can find someplace close to your home.
- Start making some calls! This might take some extra time, but ultimately you'll want to call a few different offices to find out if they're a good fit for you.
- Referrals from friends and family are also a great place to start! Chat with the people close to you and see if they can help narrow down your selection.
Use an app like Zocdoc
Another way you can schedule an appointment with a doctor is through a third party app such as Zocdoc. These apps are easy to use and provide reviews to help guide your selection.
- You'll need to have your insurance card on hand to make sure you find someone in network.
- If you use an app like Zocdoc, it's still important to create an account with your insurance company. This is where you'll receive billing communications, benefits information, and the complete list of in network doctors.
Having trouble locating a doctor? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll help point you in the right direction!