In general, qualified health insurance plans (all Stride plans are considered qualified) will cover treatment for coronavirus just like any other sickness. Under the Affordable Care Act, health insurance companies must cover treatment if it’s considered medically necessary.
- The federal government recently declared a test for coronavirus as an essential health benefit that must be covered by all ACA-protected private insurance plans, Medicaid, and Medicare. Keep in mind that you may still need to meet CDC testing criteria for COVID-19.
- Major insurance companies have agreed to waive copays and coinsurance for COVID-19 testing and testing related visits.
- Treatment for COVID-19 will be covered as an essential benefit as any other illness or sickness would be. Some insurance companies will be waiving copays and coinsurance for treatments, but not all of them. It's always best to see what your insurance company is saying.
If you believe you have been exposed to COVID-19:
If you believe you may have been exposed to coronavirus, call your doctor or insurance company immediately to discuss a plan of action. If your doctor determines you are eligible for testing for COVID-19, it will be covered by your plan and subject to your plan benefits and/or any state mandates.
Feel free to consult our Coronavirus Resource Guide For Independent Workers for additional information.
If you live in the state of Washington, health insurers are required to waive copays and deductibles for any consumer-required testing for coronavirus. This applies to anyone enrolled in a qualified health plan or a short-term medical plan provided by a WA insurance company.
If you live in the state of California, health insurers are mandated to waive co-pays, deductibles, and coinsurance for all medically necessary screening and testing for COVID-19, including hospital, emergency department, urgent care, and provider office visits where the purpose of the visit is to be screened and/or tested for COVID-19. This applies to everyone on a major medical plan or Medi-Cal.
- In CA, all medically necessary screening and testing for COVID-19 are free of charge, and
- All health plans available through Medi-Cal and Covered California offer telehealth options.
If you live in the state of New York, health insurers are required to waive cost-sharing associated with testing for coronavirus, including emergency room, urgent care, and office visits. New Yorkers receiving Medicaid coverage will also receive free coronavirus testing.
If your health insurance policy is through Cigna (any state), you will have access to coronavirus (COVID-19) testing, as prescribed by health practitioners, and the company will waive all co-pays or cost-shares.