Head of household is a tax filing that can help determine if you are eligible for premium tax credits!
Defined by the IRS it means:
- You are unmarried or considered unmarried on the last day of the year.
- A qualifying dependent lived in your home for more than half the year
- You paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home for the year.
There are some exceptions to this rule:
- Such as if you are a survivor of domestic abuse
- You're still married but you and your spouse lived separately for more than 6 months and you pay more than half of the cost of keeping up the home for your child or dependent.
It's important to note that if you are married and filing taxes separately you won't be able to receive premium tax credits!
Article is closed for comments.