In order to apply for coverage outside the Open Enrollment period, you must experience a qualifying life event that entitles you to a special enrollment period, which lasts for 60 days before or after the trigger event. The most common qualifying events include:
- You or a dependent lose job-based coverage
- You get married, have a baby, or adopt
- You gain US citizenship
- Your income changes significantly, making you newly eligible (or ineligible) for subsidies
- You permanently move out of state and gain access to new plans
- You are or gain status as a Native American Indian
To purchase health insurance, go through the same process as you normally would on Stride. On the application page, select your “Qualifying Event.” We’ll email you after your purchase with directions on how to supply your new insurance company with written proof of that event.
Note: "Open Enrollment" is a period during which anyone can buy or switch their health insurance plan for any reason. The most recent open enrollment period lasted from November 15, 2014-February 15, 2015.