If you have submitted an application for a new plan for the benefit year 2023, you may need to let your insurance company or insurance exchange know that you do not want your 2022 plan to renew. Your insurance company or exchange (Covered California, Healthcare.gov, etc.) should have sent you a letter letting you know whether or not your coverage will be automatically renewed for 2023.
If you are switching insurance companies in 2023, it is highly recommended to call your current insurance company to ensure they are not automatically renewing your coverage after 12/31/2022. Your 2023 plan will begin on 1/1/2023 and you may be at risk of being double-charged if you do not cancel your current health plan effective 12/31/2022.
Please read below for situation-specific guidance:
- If you purchased a Covered CA plan through Stride for 2022, and just applied for another Covered CA plan through Stride for 2023:
- You do not need to cancel your current 2022 coverage. Your 2022 plan will end on 12/31/2022 and your new plan selection will start on 1/1/2023.
- If you purchased a Healthcare.gov plan through Stride for 2022 AND just applied for a Healthcare.gov plan through Stride for 2023:
- If you are purchasing 2023 coverage in a NEW STATE:
- You MUST cancel your 2022 coverage or it may automatically renew in 2023. Contact your current insurance company to cancel your plan before 12/31/2022.
- If you purchased an off-exchange (private) health insurance plan through Stride for 2022, and are applying for a different plan through Stride for 2023: