If you have submitted an application for a new plan for the benefit year 2021, you may need to let your insurance company or insurance exchange know that you do not want your 2020 plan to renew. Your insurance company or exchange (Covered CA, Healthcare.gov, etc.) should have sent you a letter letting you know whether or not your coverage will be automatically renewed for 2021.
If you are switching insurance companies in 2021, it is highly recommended to call your current insurance company to ensure they are not automatically renewing your coverage after 12/31/2020. Your 2021 plan will begin on 1/1/2021 and you may be at risk of being double-charged if you do not cancel your current health plan effective 12/31/2020.
Please read below for situation-specific guidance:
- If you purchased a Covered CA plan through Stride for 2020, and just applied for another Covered CA plan through Stride for 2021:
- You do not need to cancel your current 2020 coverage. Your 2020 plan will end on 12/31/2020 and your new plan selection will start on 1/1/2021.
- If you purchased a Healthcare.gov plan through Stride for 2020 AND just applied for a Healthcare.gov plan through Stride for 2021:
- If you are purchasing 2021 coverage in a NEW STATE:
- You MUST cancel your 2020 coverage or it may automatically renew in 2021. Contact your current insurance company to cancel your plan before 12/31/2020.
- If you purchased an off-exchange (private) health insurance plan through Stride for 2020, and are applying for a different plan through Stride for 2021: