The IRS has announced that the nation’s tax season will start on Monday, January 23, 2022. This is when the IRS will begin accepting and processing 2022 tax year returns.
Key filing season dates:
- January 13: IRS Free File opens. Taxpayers can begin filing returns through IRS Free File partners; tax returns will be transmitted to the IRS starting January 23. Tax software companies also are accepting tax filings in advance.
- January 17: Due date for the tax year 2022 fourth quarter estimated tax payment.
- January 23: IRS begins 2022 tax season. Individual 2022 tax returns begin being accepted and processing begins.
- January 27: Earned Income Tax Credit Awareness Day to raise awareness of valuable tax credits available to many people, including the option to use the prior-year income to qualify.
- April 18: National due date to file 2022 tax returns or request extension and pay any tax owed.
- October 16: Due date to file for those requesting an extension on their 2022 tax returns.
When are estimated taxes due?
If you’re self-employed, estimated taxes are due quarterly with Form 1040-ES:
- First-quarter payments are due April 15
- Second-quarter payments are due June 15
- Third-quarter payments are due Sept. 15
- Fourth quarter payments are due Jan. 15
Click here for more information on how to file quarterly taxes!