The IRS has announced that the nation’s tax season will start on Friday, February 12, 2021. This is when the IRS will begin accepting and processing 2020 tax year returns.
Key filing season dates:
- January 15, 2021. IRS Free File opens. Tax filings are accepted in advance, but are not transmitted to the IRS until 2/12/2021.
- February 12, 2021. IRS begins 2021 tax season. Individual tax returns begin being accepted and processing begins.
- February 22, 2021. Projected date for the IRS.gov Where's My Refund tool being updated for those claiming EITC and ACTC, also referred to as PATH Act returns.
- First week of March 2021. Tax refunds begin reaching those claiming EITC and ACTC (PATH Act returns) for those who file electronically with direct deposit.
- May 17th, 2021. Deadline for filing 2020 tax returns.
- October 15, 2021. Deadline to file for those requesting an extension on their 2020 tax returns.
Tip: The advance stimulus payments received separately are not taxable, and they do not reduce your refund when you file in 2021.
When are estimated taxes due?
If you’re self-employed, estimated taxes are due quarterly with Form 1040-ES:
- First quarter payments are due April 15
- Second quarter payments are due June 15
- Third quarter payments are due Sept. 15
- Fourth quarter payments are due Jan. 15
Click here for more information on how to file quarterly taxes!