The IRS has announced that the nation’s tax season will start on Monday, January 24, 2022. This is when the IRS will begin accepting and processing 2021 tax year returns.
Key filing season dates:
- January 14: IRS Free File opens. Taxpayers can begin filing returns through IRS Free File partners; tax returns will be transmitted to the IRS starting January 24. Tax software companies also are accepting tax filings in advance.
- January 18: Due date for tax year 2021 fourth quarter estimated tax payment.
- January 24: IRS begins 2022 tax season. Individual 2021 tax returns begin being accepted and processing begins
- April 18: Due date to file 2021 tax return or request extension and pay tax owed due to Emancipation Day holiday in Washington, D.C., even for those who live outside the area.
- April 19: Due date to file 2021 tax return or request extension and pay tax owed for those who live in MA or ME due to Patriots' Day holiday
- October 17: Due date to file for those requesting an extension on their 2021 tax returns
When are estimated taxes due?
If you’re self-employed, estimated taxes are due quarterly with Form 1040-ES:
- First quarter payments are due April 15
- Second quarter payments are due June 15
- Third quarter payments are due Sept. 15
- Fourth quarter payments are due Jan. 15
Click here for more information on how to file quarterly taxes!